EMOM for 10min
E: 5 deadlifts, 135#
O: 3 push ups
then, for time:
50 jumping squats
30 hang power clean
15 toes to bar
100 flutter kicks
1. Could have done more on the DL and HPC but I didn’t have any chalk and was using a mens bar (larger diameter shaft), so keeping a good grip was difficult. Not to mention I had sweaty palms from the gym being a billion degrees.
2. The push ups felt good, if I did this again I could do 5.
3. It’s getting tough to find a good ab movement! I want to do more T2B but it was hot in the gym and I couldn’t get a good grip, which is why I threw in the V-ups and flutter kicks.
1600m row, damper on 7, 7:22
DB snatch (L+R=1), 20#
– I should do more rowing. I do enjoy the running I’ve been doing but am finding that my foot hasn’t fully recovered from the midfoot sprain I had about 6 weeks ago. So perhaps a bit of both, rowing and running.
– I could have done more weight on the snatches, at least 25#. Next time!
1/4 mi run, incline 1, 6mph
10 shoulder press, 45#
10 Russian twists, 8# ball
Then run 1/2 mile
I felt good about the shoulder press, this was the perfect weight for this. And, lo! My running is improving! That 1/4 mile is starting to feel easy already, and the 1/2 mile feels more challenging but doable. Working my way up to a 5k distance — anything more than that is just silly.
3×10 hanging lat pulls
I was thinking about my form on this since my right shoulder seems to engage more. Next time I should focus on engaging my lats since I think I tend to focus on engaging my shoulders.
I love watching fitness documentaries, they always inspire me to work harder. Not that I want to actually be a body builder (or even look like one), but those folks work SO hard for their bodies!
I just watched Generation Iron and am now trying to think how I can eat cleaner… Sure, I could workout more, but after last week’s Feb 11 workout I was reminded that I need to workout smarter, not harder — that workout destroyed my shoulders to the point where I couldn’t workout for 2 days and the discomfort woke me up at night. It’s difficult to find the balancing point that allows advancement without injury, restraint without holding oneself back. I do a really good job of scaling and modifying workouts, knowing my own limits, but I need to do something about this shoulder issue. I need more strength! So, in addition to my normal workouts, I probably need to start doing random sets of push ups throughout the day and working on shoulder press more frequently. Plus keep it all moving smooth with mobility work.
Oh, back to the clean eating thing. Paleo is pretty clean, and I’m probably cleaner than most since I do a more strict Paleo, ie no “paleo” cupcakes. But I could eat less fruit. And probably keep an eye on my nut butter intake. And keep the alcohol intake low (it already is low, but could be better). Umm…yeah. I can’t do much else unless I cut out green beans for being too starchy, and that just seems extreme.
Also, I need to run more since I feel like my endurance is garbage. So maybe I’ll start doing extra workouts with push press and running.